Monday, August 22, 2011

Day 3- Construction


Loving me some India. We woke up early today and played volleyball as a group. While the rules are the same, there are a few variations from American volleyball. For example, when the ball flies into the brush, you worry less about points and more about the cobras and scorpions you just upset. I’m developing a new set of skills here in India… This is a picture of our “toilet” and our “shower”. 

There is a delicate system to using this bathroom. First, bring a flashlight- you never know when the power will shut off. Second, walk in slowly and check for frogs and lizards- you don’t want to be spooked and loose balance mid-squat and you can’t run out mid-shower. You may also want to bring toilet paper when you are out and about in India- most restrooms have just a hose sitting next to the toilet, but we haven’t quite figured that one out. Also, don’t bother taking a bucket shower in the morning because it will be a matter of minutes before you are drenched in sweat again. Instead, you shower at night, after the nightly monsoon has “cooled” the temperature. Before you leave the house you must envelope yourself in a lovely selection of aerosol aromas including, but not limited to, sunscreen, bug spray, and lice repellant. Then you pop your malaria pill and you are good to go. I’m going to have this art perfected by the time I leave. 
Today my group was on “construction” and went to a leprosy colony to clean up trash (there isn’t really a garbage system in the colonies so most of the garbage is in the streets). The volunteers this summer have built some 24 septic tanks and bathrooms through out some leprosy colonies. Amazing. I guess they were so good at building that they finished all the work by the time my session got here. These pictures are from the colony we worked at today. (This is one of the nicer colonies so it isn't a very good representation of colonies in general). 



At first I was bummed that I wouldn’t be building… but then I witnessed the Indian heat at its finest and no longer minded the lighter load. The weather is different than anything else I’ve experienced. Of course it’s hot… but you don’t mind the heat as much as you wonder, “How did I get so wet from the inside-out?” Sweat and all, it was an amazing experience. As we walked through the colony picking up the garbage you see all the people afflicted with leprosy and they are so grateful that people care (in India, people with leprosy are seen as having a curse, so they are ostracized to these colonies and denied jobs/education/etc.). We learned to say "vodacom” (hello) in Tamil while bowing to your elders. My high of the day was interacting with the people and seeing their sweet faces light up when you looked them in the eye and said hi. My low of the day… I picked up this bag that was a little heavier so I assumed it was full of street water. Naturally, I tipped it over… Wrong. It was full of shrimp heads that had been sitting in the hot, humid street for who knows how long. These are culturally acceptable moments to shower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment